Friday, February 1, 2008

Leona Lewis Hits U.S. Airwaves!

Every once in a while, a music talent comes along that just blows me away from the first time I heard their voice. I still remember seeing Carrie Underwood on American Idol a few years ago and knowing from the first time I heard her that she was going to do great things. Way back in 1990, a woman named Mariah Carey came along with her song "Vision Of Love." From the first time I heard that amazing voice, I knew we'd be hearing from her for a very long time... "Vision" would be the first of an unprecented 10 consecutive #1 hits on Radio & Records' top 40 chart! In 2005, Mariah scored her 13th and 14th #1 pop hits including "We Belong Together" which spent 11 weeks at the summit.

When you first hear Leona Lewis and her music from the Spirit album, it does remind you a lot of Mariah, particularly her early stuff. Leona's first single, "Bleeding Love" already spent seven weeks at #1 in the U.K. and is set to be released to U.S. radio on Super Tuesday. The anticipation for this song has been so strong that no less than 18 stations here in the States have already added the song to their playlists. As of this morning, it already stands at #66 on the Mediabase CHR/Pop chart. When I first heard "Bleeding Love" a little over a month ago, I have to admit I was hooked from the very first listen. It's truly an amazing piece of work, engaging and melodic. Simply put, a musical masterpiece! Being someone who is pretty picky when it comes to music, that very rarely happens with me. Watch for the song to rocket up the charts here in the coming weeks. Leona's debut album Spirit will hit the stores here in America on April 8th. The album I think only touches on Leona's potential, though there are several other songs which should become hits here. I think we will be seeing a whole lot of Leona Lewis for many years to come!

-----

No comments: