Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Lake Show Continues To Roll

Who needs baseball season now that we have the new and improved Los Angeles Lakers? I didn't get a chance to catch any of the action last night, other than checking on the score by my cellphone. It just so happened that I checked just as the Lakers were falling behind the visiting Portland Trailblazers by a 27-12 score with one minute to play in the first quarter. Was I worried that they might lose the game? Honestly, I wasn't. When was the last time that I was this confident about a Lakers team being able to come back from a double-digit deficit? I'd have to say the Earvin "Magic" Johnson era Lakers were the last ones that I had that kind of confidence in. Yes, this current crop of Lakers is even better and more well-rounded than the teams which Kobe and Shaq led to championships. The only question to me is, can they top the '80's dynasty? Time will tell.

Getting back to the game. After their initial problems, the Lakers would go on a 28-8 run to forge to a 40-35 lead with 5:28 to play in the first half. The Blazers wouldn't go down easy though, as they closed the half on a 16-4 run to lead 51-44 at halftime. The Lakers finally took control of the game late in the fourth quarter. After leading 72-71 with 8:11 to play, the Lakers outscored the Blazers 24-12 the rest of the way to win going away, 96-83. The win was their 9th straight and extended their lead back to one game in the Western Conference.

-----

No comments: