Sunday, April 22, 2007

Going Coast To Coast!

This is a morning I've been looking forward to for quite a while now - my vacation and trip to the East coast begins today! I fly out of Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) at 11:20pm PT tonight and will end up going through JFK Airport in New York before I end up at Reagan Airport and Washington DC at 11am ET on Monday morning. There is so much to do and see in DC; I've simply been overwhelmed by my family and friends with suggestions as to what to do and see during my stay there... Of course, some of the places suggested are very familiar - the White House, the Washington Monument, the Smithsonian, the Lincoln Memorial and the Library of Congress are amongst those places suggested to me multiple times. My itinerary is pretty well set - though if something comes up, I'm flexible to change it. I will have high speed internet access from my hotel room in DC, so I will hopefully be blogging daily from there. By the way, I asked for a room up high so hopefully I will have a nice view of the city from where I'm staying - not that I expect to be there much.

On the morning of the 26th, at 8:45 am, I fly out of Reagan Airport and down to Orlando (via LaGuardia in NYC) for the second leg of my trip. As some of you know, I work for Verizon and originally was only going to be in Florida for two days. The reason I was going to Florida for work was that I was one of the top sales associates in my region last year. It's quite an honor to be chosen and rewarded for all of the hard work that I put in. Of course, since there is so much to see and do in the Orlando area, I just had to extend my vacation a couple of days - so I'll be there through the 29th. There will be a Verizon dinner and party for the sales associates from 7-10 PM on Thursday night, the 26th. The main recognition and awards ceremony will be from 8am - 12pm the next morning, followed by a lunch buffet which ends at 1:30 PM. Several of my friends have decided to extend their stay by a couple of days as well, so I will be doing a lot of stuff with them. As for places I do know I will be visiting, the one I will be seeing for sure is the Epcot Center. At least four of us will be visiting the Epcot Center on the 28th... I leave Orlando on the 29th at 7:50 PM ET, and should arrive back at LAX around 11:45 PM PT. I will have high speed internet access from Orlando too, so I should be able to blog daily from there as well!

Needless to say, I plan on taking lots of pictures of the places I visit and the things and people I see. I truly can't wait to see DC and Orlando!

-----

Just a little bit o'Sports today... How about Mr. Cole Hamels of the Philadelphia Phillies? Kudos to him on a 15 strikeout performance in a complete game 4-1 victory over the Cincinnati Reds. Hamels was another of my draft day targets this year, so I was glad to see him do so well. The Los Angeles Dodgers got a walk-off grand slam from catcher Russell Martin in the 10th inning of a thrilling (though poorly played) 7-3 victory over the Pittsburgh Pirates. Big Papi went deep as the Red Sox beat the Yankees again 7-5...

In auto racing, Jeff Gordon finally got his first victory of the 2007 season and also his first victory ever in Phoenix as he won the Subway Fresh Fit 500. Particularly moving was what happened afterwards - Gordon tied the late Dale Earnhardt, Sr. on the all-time win list with his 76th NASCAR victory. Gordon was given a flag with Earnhardt's #3 on it immediately after the race ended and he drove around the track on his victory lap, holding the flag up outside his window as he paid tribute to the senior Earnhardt. It was truly a special moment.

No comments: