Tuesday, April 24, 2007

DC: Day 2 - Exploring via The Metro















I awoke at 6:30 am, in time to see that the weather was not as clear as it was on Monday... the forecast was for a chance of thunderstorms... I grabbed a quick cup of coffee before getting ready, and then I headed down to the cafe for a breakfast of french toast, scrambled eggs, fruit, milk and some more coffee... Yes, I live on caffiene a lot of the time!

A little before 9:15am, I headed South towards the Navy Yard Metro Station. I got there quickly, no sooner to find out it was closed, so I headed to the next nearest one - the Capitol South Metro Station, which was just about a mile away from the Navy Yard...

I took the Metro to the Federal Yard and first explored the Washington Monument... then I visited the Lincoln Memorial and then almost circled the White House... A few people were gracious enough to take pictures of me in front of some of these places, and I'll be posting them just as soon as I can use a computer with a USB port...

After stopping by the White House, I caught the Metro again and got off at the Foggy Bottom GWU stop... I walked from the George Washington University area straight to Georgetown and was really amazed by the beauty of everything here. For those of you that don't know, Georgetown was established in 1751 and is the hometown of the Georgetown Hoyas - a great scholastic instution which is also very well known for their men's basketball program. This year, they made yet another final four appearance, losing to eventual runner-up, Ohio State.

While walking the streets of Georgetown (and also trying to hook up with a cousin of mine who is an Undergraduate here), I stopped several places... At 1pm, a place called the Pizzeria Paradiso piqued my interest, so I had a nice pizza lunch there... I'll probably spend the rest of the afternoon trying to get together with my cousin before heading back to hotel...

After being here just a little more than 24 hours, there are two things I do know for sure now. One is that I REALLY LOVE this city and the second is that I just have to come back... I'm already planning out my second trip here so that I can visit the places that I will be missing this time...

One other thing I would like to say, and that's a big THANK YOU to all of the residents of DC and the visitors who have been so nice to me... You all have truly added so much to this amazing experience! This morning, while getting off the Metro and headed for the Washington Monument, I just happened to see a young man dressed in a UCLA Bruin shirt... being a HUGE Bruin fan of course, I just had to engage him in conversation... It turned out his name was Chris and he graduated from UCLA 11 years after I did. Chris was now a graduate student at Georgetown. Chris also had several members of his family with him, and they almost were able to get me into the White House. They had two extra tickets, but of course with the security measures here there was no way I would have been able to use the tickets... Needless to say, the topic of college basketball came up when Chris and I talked... and, like me, he picked a UCLA-Georgetown championship... I guess he was feeling the same way I was that Saturday night after both of the teams I was pulling for lost!

That would be about it for now... hopefully I will be able to hook up with my cousin before heading back to my room...

-----

Of course, I have to post a little sports stuff here... Not surprisingly, the Lakers and Wizards both lost on Sunday, and the Denver Nuggets (surprisingly to some but not to me) took game one from the San Antonio Spurs in their series. The BIG shocker was the Golden State Warriors taking a game on the road against the number one seed in the West, the Dallas Mavericks...

In baseball, A-Rod is just continuing to go crazy... Mr. Rodriguez slammed two more homers last night in the Yankees 10-8 loss to the Tampa Bay Devil Rays. A-Rod has now tied Albert Pujols' major league record of 14 homers in April... I hope he continues to produce great numbers, and that the Yankees continue their losing ways. ;)

No comments: