Sunday, April 15, 2007

Go Country 105 Bowling Party

Yesterday, L.A.'s new Country music station, Go Country 105 had it's first Listener Appreciation Party at the Westminster Lanes. Morning show DJ's Shawn Parr and Robin Banks hosted the event with Whole Lotta Pizza providing free pizza and drinks.

My friend Paula from the CarrieUnderwood.fm website first made me aware of the event a week and a half ago. Needless to say, with my vacation starting next weekend, I was very happy the event was this weekend so that I could attend.

As some of you know, traffic in L.A. is only good around the hours of 2-5 AM in the morning... Seriously, just when is the traffic good here? The drive, which was supposed to take just over one hour, took an hour and a half... Nonetheless, I arrived just in time to grab a couple of pieces of pizza, switch into my bowling shoes and then go to my assigned lane to bowl. Paula and my friends Jen and Katie awaited me there as I arrived just after 1 PM - Paula was especially easy to spot as she was wearing one of her many Carrie Underwood shirts. Paula and I are both tireless promoters of the people and things that interest us, so we just had to model a couple of our favorites from the Carrie Underwood line of clothing at the event.

For whatever reason, in spite of me not picking up a bowling ball in over two years, I had this huge sense of confidence in me even before the game started. I just felt very inspired - it was almost as if I knew something really special was going to happen. My game started innocently enough with a spare in the first frame. I then strung together four consecutive strikes! Spares in the 6th and 7th left me at a 146 through six frames. It was at that point I knew I was onto something good. Somehow I managed to just stay focused and I struck again in the 8th, 9th and 10th frames! I knew then that I was at a personal best game ever, but I didn't want to think about it too much as I had one more ball to throw... a seven count on my fill ball left me at a 240! I missed the spare - my only bad shot of the entire game, but it really didn't make much of a difference as it would have only made my score 243. Could the PBA Tour be in my future?



A fun time was had by all of the over 150 fellow Go Country 105 listeners in attendance. In addition to the free bowling and pizza, they gave away free CD's and gift certificates. Shawn and Robin did a lot of interacting with the audience and I had the opportunity to have some good converations with both about the new station and the joy it's bringing to so many southern Californians. Photo opps were there for the taking, and I gladly took advantage. Below I'm pictured with the aforementioned Shawn and Robin from Go Country 105:





-----

A truly great man is being honored in Baseball stadiums across the land today - Hall of Famer Jackie Robinson. This day marks the 60th anniversary of his first game for the then Brooklyn Dodgers. A lot of you may not know this, but Jackie went to college the same place I did: UCLA! To this day, he remains an inspiration to me and countless other Americans. I'd like to encourage all of you to stop by his official website at www.jackierobinson.com as we celebrate the legacy he has left us with.

No comments: