Friday, June 22, 2007

Prayin' For Daylight...

Do you ever have one of those mornings where you just can't wait for the sun to come up for the start of a new day? Being the eternal optimist, I look forward to the sun rising practically every day, but I particularly looked forward to it today. I just know today is going to be an amazing day and it really hasn't even started yet...

So what am I all excited about? Could be the fact that my fantasy baseball teams are doing so well... all three of my CBS Sportsline teams are in contention near the midway point of the season and one of them is in first place! Nothing would feel better than to win some of these money leagues I'm in... winning money for doing something I love to do? Imagine that!!! Is there such an occupation as "professional fantasy baseball player?" I wonder.

I also have some more concerts coming up... the Police tomorrow night, Brad Paisley the following Saturday... I'll be seeing a lot of friends at both events so you know what that means... :) It's always a lot more fun when I can illustrate my posts with pics!

*edit* By the way, I just found out that my seat for the Paisley show is going to be in the first SIX rows!!!


Also, more trips are coming up for me... actually since I've used up all but 1/2 a day of vacation time from work, they're going to have to be weekenders. Yes, the red-eye is my friend! Should I give any hints yet??? I hear there might be a "Tiger sighting" in a couple of weeks... yes, THAT Tiger! I don't think that 16x20 picture I have of him with Jack Nicklaus (which I won in the silent auction at the EBC Golf Tournament last month) will travel too well in a plane... My friends tell me he loves to autograph this kind of stuff. I guess I'll just have to wait until he comes to the nearby Sherwood Country Club for his annual event there in a few months...

And yes, there are more baseball games in my future... not this month though... Four MLB games in span of 16 days in two cities involving five different teams... I will be at Dodger Stadium tomorrow night, but that's for the aforementioned Police concert...

-----

Speaking of baseball, lets cover a few things here before the weekend... The Dodgers trailed the Toronto Blue Jays for most of the day yesterday, falling behind 2-0. Chad Billingsley, limited to a seventy pitch count, threw precisely that many pitches before being pulled with two outs in the fourth inning... Billingsley pitched fairly well while in there, giving up only two hits while striking out two... Three walks and a two run homer to Aaron Hill in the second inning did slightly blemish the performance. Shaun Marcum pitched a very effective six innings for the Jays, giving up two runs on only three hits, while walking three... Jeff Kent hit a 2-run homer in the top of the 6th inning to tie the game at 2. Just a note on this game, it seems the home plate umpire had a slighty tight strike zone - 10 walks were issued between the two teams for the game... The Jays took a 3-2 lead in the bottom of the 6th as Gregg Zahn's sacrifice fly scored Matt Stairs... The Jays brought in Casey Janssen in the top of the 8th inning... those of us who have seen Janssen pitch the past couple of years know that the 0.95 ERA he possessed coming into the game was not reflective of the kind of pitcher he is... Simply put, he's just a VERY average pitcher... the law of averages was overdue to catch up to him, and yesterday just that happened! The Dodgers parlayed a walk and five hits into a six run inning as Janssen saw his ERA rise to 2.37... The Dodgers then breezed to an 8-4 victory... The win puts the Dodgers only 1/2 game behind the NL Western Division co-leading San Diego Padres and Arizona Diamondbacks.

In Colorado, the Rockies slayed the mighty New York Yankees again to complete a three game sweep!!! After winning 14 of 17 games to pull within eight games of the Boston Red Sox a few days ago, the Yanks now find themselves 10 1/2 games back. A good thing for those of us that are Red Sox fans! :) Roger Clemens was hit hard and often by the Rockies, giving up four runs and seven hits in 4 1/3 innings while walking one and striking out six. Rodrigo Lopez bobbed and weaved through 5 2/3 innings for the Rockies to pick up his fourth win, giving up only two runs despite giving up seven hits and a walk. Brian Fuentes closed things out in the 9th for his 20th save of the year as the Rockies held on for a 4-3 win...

In Texas, the Rangers and Cubs finished off what can only be termed "the big disappointment series." Both teams were expected to be contenders this year, instead both teams find themselves mired well below .500. One of the lone bright spots for the Rangers this year has been their big free agent acquisition, pitcher Eric Gagne. "Gags" has been nothing short of brilliant this year for the Rangers, and after seeing him go through everything he has the past couple of years first hand following the Dodgers, this is REALLY nice to see! In 19 innings this year, he has only given up one run for a microscopic 0.47 ERA. He also has 19 strikeouts and seven saves to go along with two wins - he picked up that second win yesterday as the Rangers scored a run in the bottom of the ninth on a Frank Catalanotto single for a 6-5 win... Life is all about perseverance and Gags is certainly a great example of that!

-----

No comments: