Wednesday, June 6, 2007

DC Ducks Tour




Just before I traveled off to Nashville on Monday afternoon, I took the Metro down to the Capitol South station and took the DC Ducks tour of the city... 22,000 of the amphibious vehicles were made in 1942 (all by women) to be used in World War II. 20,000 of the Ducks were used in the battle, while 2,000 others never were used for service, such as the one we toured on the Capitol Duck. The 90 minute tour was thoroughly enjoybale and our driver, Frank (below left) made us "quack up" many many times! Frank even let a young boy (below right) take the wheel of the boat for a good 15 minutes while we were on the water!













The historic tour took us all over the historic parts of DC from Capitol Hill to the Potomac into Virginia and back into DC through the Bureau of Engraving and Printing (this is where they make money!) before we headed back to Union Station... Kudos to 2006 Miss DC, Kate Michael for recommending this great tour to me during my last stay in DC in April! If you're ever in DC, the DC Ducks tour is a MUST DO!!!



After taking the Ducks tour, I grabbed a quick bite of gumbo soup at B.Smith's - very tasty! - before heading back to my hotel where I checked and sent a few quick emails. I then checked out and grabbed the Metro to Reagan Airport. I also want to give a HUGE "Thank You" to all of the staff at the Best Western in Georgetown. They truly treated me like royalty and were very interested in my daily activities... With all the amenities and the great proximity to everything, I can't think of a better place to stay while in DC.

-----

No comments: