Wednesday, May 23, 2007

The Perfect Storm...

Last night was just one of those that you dream about as a baseball fan... it was a night where all of my favorite teams won, and all of my least favorite teams lost - OK, I really only have one least favorite team (the Yankees), but you get the idea... And yes, I got to eat my cake too as several of my fantasy league aces did very well last night - Johan Santana, Jake Peavy, John Lackey, Tim Lincecum and Randy Wolf all had strong performances, and more importantly (at least to my fantasy teams) wins! OK, a few of my pitchers (Rich Hill, Bronson Arroyo and Cole Hamels) didn't do too well, but overall it was a GREAT night!

As for the AL games that meant something to me... first off, the Boston Red Sox defeated their arch-rival New York Yankees 7-3. Manny Ramirez was "just being Manny" last night as his three-run homer led the BoSox attack... The aforementioned Johan Santana was absolutely DOMINANT last night, striking out 13 batters in seven innings while leading the Minnesota Twins to a 5-1 victory over the Texas Rangers. John Lackey pitched a gutty five innings (he threw 104 pitches), giving up only a run as the Angels beat the Detroit Tigers 6-3. Francisco Rodriguez closed things out for his 13th save of the year.

As for the NL games, the suddenly red-hot Felipe Lopez (remember, I recommended picking him on 5/15) homered and drove in six runs as the Washington Nationals beat up on Bronson Arroyo and the Cincinnati Reds 8-4. Andruw Jones rebounded from his embarassing five strikeout performance this past Sunday going two for three with an RBI, and pitcher Kyle Davies homered as the Atlanta Braves defeated the New York Mets 8-1. Rookie sensation Tim Lincecum pitched a strong eight innings for the San Francisco Giants, giving up two runs and five hits, as he defeated Roy Oswalt and the Houston Astros 4-2. Finally, my Dodgers got yet another strong performance from the resurgent Randy Wolf in defeating the Milwaukee Brewers and Ben Sheets 3-2. Wolf gave up two runs and three hits in seven innings as the Dodgers stopped their four game losing streak...

-----

For the second time in three days, I'm going to talk a little hockey! The Anaheim Ducks are going to the Stanley Cup finals! A 4-3 win over the Detroit Red Wings last night gave the Ducks a 4-2 series win. In the game, the Ducks jumped out to a quick 3-0 lead after two periods. The Ducks then played VERY conservatively in the third period, scoring once, while giving up three goals... they were able to hold on though thanks again to the outstanding goaltending of series MVP Jean-Sebastien Giguere. The Stanley Cup final is set to begin between the Ducks and the Ottawa Senators this Monday night. Neither the Ducks nor the Senators has ever won a championship, so a first time champion is certain to be crowned!

-----

Well tonight is it - the Americal Idol finale'... who will win? Jordin or Blake??? I'm picking Jordin, though with my fortune in picking A.I. winners this year, it's a pick that I wouldn't recommend betting on!

-----

No comments: