Sunday, March 25, 2007

OH MY! : UCLA in Final 4, Carrie & Peyton on SNL

Yesterday began my personal March madness - aka: fantasy baseball drafting time. Yesterday's draft went VERY well. I had the 9th pick and Big Papi fell to me there. I was able to scoop up Miguel Cabrera with the 12th pick, and Jimmy Rollins and Derrek Lee with my next two picks. I got a nice end gamer in Carlos Quentin with my final pick. Worst case scenario is the D-Backs DL him and I put him in my DL slot, allowing me to pick up another free agent. Everyone knows this guy is going to be GREAT someday. As for the rest of my team, I really don't feel like I have a weakness on my team other than speed (where I always draft to be middle of the pack). Maybe I can win this league this year instead of finishing 2nd. Have a look:

http://games.espn.go.com/flb/clubhouse?leagueId=23317&teamId=1&seasonId=2007

Well, there is excitement here in So.Cal when it comes to basketball... In case you don't know, the Lakers' Kobe Bryant has posted four consective 50+ point games! He's only the 2nd player in NBA history to do this - Wilt Chamberlain holds the record with seven of them in a row. Perhaps now, NBA Commissioner David Stern will stop it with his personal vendetta against Kobe.... he's had something against him ever since Kobe's lapse of judgement a few years ago. None of us are perfect, Commissioner... Maybe one of these days you might understand that!

While Kobe's heroics have been magical, the big story for me is my UCLA Bruins! They played a FLAWLESS game defensively en route to defeating Kansas 68-55 last night for a trip to Atlanta and the final 4! Do I hear "rematch"? Well, if Florida takes care of business today against Oregon, then we will have the opportunity avenge the loss to them in last year's Championship game. By the way, my final 4 are STILL there in my bracket. I'm suddenly up to 73.3% in my ESPN entry!

Finally, I went to a relatives home last night to watch Saturday Night Live. Said relative has the East coast feed of anything televised! Yes, so I got to watch it at 8:30 PT last night. Two of my favorite people - Colts Super Bowl MVP quarterback Peyton Manning and 2x Grammy winner Carrie Underwood were the host and musical guest. There was a time in the when SNL was a staple of mine - the late 80's-mid 90's when Dana Carvey, Mike Myers, Chris Rock, David Spade, Dennis Miller, Kevin Nealon, Tim Meadows and the late Chris Farley and Phil Hartman were amongst the cast. It was definitely "must see TV" for me. Over the years though as cast members and writers have left, the show has REALLY deteriorated in quality. The only time I watch now is when there is a host and/or musical guest I want to see... last night I had BOTH, so it seemed to be a perfect situation. The show got off to a good start, beginning with the obligatory White House President Bush at the podium skit. There then were a few pretty good skits involving Peyton, but as the show went on, the skits became not just bad, but AWFUL! Thankfully, musical guest Carrie Underwood temporarily stopped the bleeding - not once, but TWICE! Carrie delivered rousing performances of her huge crossover hit "Before He Cheats" and her current single (#3 on the Country chart) "Wasted". Having had the privledge of seeing Ms. Underwood three times in concert last year, it was GREAT to see her on that SNL stage just singing her heart out! Chatting with a few others last night on her official fansite, many there thought it was Carrie's best televised live performace they had EVER seen! It certainly looks like the sky's the limit for her, doesn't it? The show closed with the cast and crew getting together to give Peyton a little birthday sendoff - yesterday was his 31st b-day... Peyton gave Carrie a kiss on the cheek and a little hug - something sure to cause lots more rumors on the Carrie fansite!

That would be all for now. I start the first of my 4 drafts today in a little less than 2 1/2 hours. Good luck to all of you in your brackets today!

No comments: