Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Tuesday Night Opry featuring Carrie Underwood

I got back to the Radisson from lunch with my friends a little after 3:15 in the afternoon, and took the time to just relax. And I mean RELAX! First I took a dip in the pool and then got into the hot sauna. I spent about about a half hour in the sauna and let me tell you it felt sooooo good! Did I mention I was very well taken care of at the Radisson?

Anyways, the Grand Ole Opry again was the place to be. The 7 p.m. hour featured the legendary Jimmie Dickens and Bill Anderson along with Elizabeth Cook and John Conlee. While the first hour of Tuesday Night Opry was indeed very good, most of the people were there for the 8 p.m. hour which featured Carrie Underwood, Montgomery Gentry, the Oak Ridge Boys and Luke Bryan.

At 8 o'clock sharp, Carrie (above) took the stage and launched into "Flat On The Floor" from her current album. Then came Montgomery Gentry (right). They're a group I've wanted to see for sometime in concert, but up until that moment never had. They started off with their anthem and one of my personal favorites, the rebellious "What Do Ya Think About That." Then came the legendary group the Oak Ridge Boys (left). Of course, the sell-out crowd of 4,400 went wild when they played their huge crossover hit "Elvira" and then "The Baptism of Jesse Taylor." Believe it or not, their first hit was over 30 years ago. My how time flies.

Montgomery Gentry made a second appearence and played their huge #1 Country hit "Lucky Man" and another of their hits. Yes, I was TOTALLY bummed when the Bengals lost too!



Carrie made her second appearance, singing a two song set of "I Know You Won't" and and yet another rousing rendition of her current hit single "Last Name." It's definitely looking like the appeal of this song is very much like "Before He Cheats" off the Some Hearts album. Up and coming star Luke Bryan (below) came next and did his top 5 hit single, "All My Friends Say" and the title track of his "I'll Stay Me" album.

Carrie came out a third time and closed the hour out with "The More Boys I Meet." And with that the show was over, but what a bunch of great music we all heard and enjoyed! Believe it or not, there was a second Tuesday Night Opry show happening due to overwhelming demand that night... featuring all of the above acts sans the Oak Ridge Boys but adding Jack Greene. No, I didn't go. I needed to rest up for another event happening the next day - the City of Hope celebrity softball game.
-----

No comments: