Sunday, July 22, 2007

Touring The Smithsonian


On this, my fourth trip to the nation's capital I finally made a visit to the Smithsonian. I had been a little hesitant to visit previously, because I knew that once I went inside one of their many museums that I would have a hard time leaving. Well, that's precisely what happened to me on Saturday afternoon. I first visited the main building, where I saw many different exhibits. There were precious gemstones, famous documents, and a wide variety of other things to see - literally something for everyone! I soon stumbled into an area I had always wanted to see - the exhibit of famous and rare U.S. Coins. Being a coin collector since the age of five, and being fascinated by their history, I was thoroughly intrigued with being able to see some of the world's most valuable and rare coins. The famous 1913 Liberty Nickel (of which only five were made) and the 1804 Silver Dollar were both on display... my jaw simply dropped at the mere sight of these coins!
Later, I visited the Natural History museum and saw an amazing variety of animals that had inhabited our great planet both present and past...












From what everyone tells me, you could spend an entire month in the Smithsonian, and still not get close to seeing everything. I've only touched the tip of the iceberg, and honestly I can't wait to go back and see more!!!

No comments: