Sunday, July 29, 2007

MARTINA McBRIDE concert!


Last night, I went to see arguably the best vocalist in all of music at the Pacific Amphitheatre in Martina McBride. Many of my friends had told me that I would go away simply in awe of how such powerful vocals could come out of someone so small in stature. Believe me, after last night, there is little doubt that they knew exactly what they were talking about.

Before I tell you all about Martina, I have to talk a little about the venue it was held in - it was an absolute nightmare actually trying to get inside! Those of you that live in Southern California as I do know all about our infamous traffic. It only took about 40 minutes to get from my Aunt's home 45 miles away in Mira Loma to within 1/2 mile of the venue in Costa Mesa via the freeways. From that point though, it took us TWO HOURS to get inside! Can you say mass transit??? Oh how I was longing to be back in D.C. and riding the Metro or busses... By the time we arrived, not only had we missed the entire set by opening act Little Big Town, but we had also missed Martina's opening song "Anyway" off her brand new Waking Up Laughing CD. As my Aunt, Mom and I stepped out of our car, I instantly recognized the chorus to her hit "Wild Angels" playing. Quickly, we all got inside to hear the rest of Martina's set...

During the show, we got to hear all of Martina's big hits including "Happy Girl" and her latest hit "How I Feel." She then went into a set of songs from her Timeless CD, paying homage to her Country heritage. The three songs off that set were her hit cover of Lynn Anderson's "(I Never Promised You A) Rose Garden," along with covers of Loretta Lynn's "You Ain't Woman Enough" and Kris Kristofferson's "I Can't Stop Loving You."

In addition to appreciating her Country heritage, Martina made reference several times to how a day never goes by that she's not thankful for what she has. Growing up, she only wanted to do one thing for a living - SING! We're all pretty thankful for that! Martina continued to deliver her powerful, emotion-filled vocals as she sang "Blessed," "Concrete Angel," and "Love's The Only House." The girls in the audience particularly got into her huge hit "This One's For The Girls," and the crowd was left standing on it's feed, raucously applauding and wanting more as she closed the her hour and a half set with "Independence Day."


.
But she wasn't done!!! The crowd roared for an encore and got their wish as she came back from her five minute respite and she broke into an encore cover of Journey's "Don't Stop Believen'" It takes quite a vocalist to cover a Steve Perry song, and let me tell you, she more than did an amazing job - she did an AWESOME job!!! Martina then closed things out with a cover of Pat Benatar's "Hit Me With Your Best Shot." Once again, the crowd REALLY got into and we were left just thirsting for more of this incredible singer!!

No comments: