Monday, March 26, 2007

FIVE DRAFTS! : Walking Off The Buzz...

Well, I somehow survived my version of "March Madness" yesterday. I could have written an entire blog about the buzz I created in the draft rooms with all of the sleepers I took out of my competitor's pendings. As you know, I was supposed to be drafting four fantasy baseball teams over the course of the day. However, for the second time in a week, I found myself filling in for my friend Dan Christopherson - he was in St. Louis covering the Oregon Ducks for the Sports report on the Portland TV station he works for. Yes, I ended up drafting FIVE teams yesterday!!! Somehow I got through it, even for a time doing two drafts at once! Good thing for me that I study for these drafts as if they were final exams! I'm proud to say I did well in every one of them, and I just know Dan is going to love that team I drafted him.

What else is up? Well, Tiger Woods won AGAIN - further strengthing his case to be the odds on favorite to win his fifth Masters in a couple of weeks. The Masters is the one golf tournament I really look forward to watching to every year - the prestige, the tradition and the beauty of that golf course make it a "must see" for me every year. One of these years, I hope to see it in person.

Speaking of tradition, the final four is set in the NCAA tournament, and somehow after my horrible start I managed to pick the final four correctly! I told several people this past Tuesday and the following couple of days how embarrassed I was at my bracket - I was at 11%! Well, here we are six days later and I'm at 88.2%! And how about those Hoyas? I told several friends and relatives over the past week that my toughest pick in all of the brackets was the UNC/Georgetown matchup... I wavered back and forth, before using the same reasoning I did to pick UCLA as the eventual national champ. I tend not to go with the "hot" team - rather the most talented one when facing a tough decision in the brackets. As for the game itself, I told many friends to watch this game as it was going to be decided in the closing seconds. But alas, I guess I was wrong on that one as it indeed went right down to the end - it ended up taking OVERTIME to decide the outcome!!! UNC controlled the game throughout, but somehow the Hoyas managed to come back and then run away in OT. Needless to say, this one affected many brackets.

In other news, Carrie Underwood is making Simon Cowell look more like a prophet every day, as "Before He Cheats" crosses over and reaches the top 20 of the Pop chart and the top 15 of the Hot AC chart as of this morning. It's looking very possible it will go top 10 at three formats. Carrie's debut album "Some Hearts" is 5x Platinum (five million in CD shipments) as we speak. Ultimately, it may end up being the biggest selling Americal Idol alumni album ever - Kelly Clarkson's "Breakaway" currently holds that title at 6x Platinum. When "Some Hearts" first came out nearly a year and a half ago, I boldly predicted it would reach the 6x Platinum plateau. As of now, I'm revising that projection to 7x Platinum! Yes, that album has some SERIOUS legs - "Some Hearts" currently resides at #10 on the Billboard Hot 200 album chart in it's 70th week of release!

Lastly, and definitely not least, for those of you like me that always want to stay up to date on the "what's HOT and what's NOT" nationally, take a look at this recent article in the Politico: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0307/3249.html. The article talks about how Washington D.C.'s image continues to transform from "frumpy" to downright "fashionable". It also features a shot of the lovely 2006 Miss DC, Kate Michael, and several comments from her and others regarding DC's continuing image transformation. By the way, if you would like see and hear more about Ms. Michael, her literacy platform and her insights, visit http://katemichael.org and also her blog http://kate-michael.blogspot.com. Ms. Michael is extremely well-versed and has great fashion sense!

FYI - for those of you wondering about today's blog title, I took it from a CD of one of my all-time favorite pop/rock/top 40 groups: Blessid Union of Souls. Check them out if you get a chance.

No comments: